Distribution of Packing Materials
Crabtree Family Moving Inc (CFM) will set up a packing materials pick-up station on campus on a date to be confirmed. The pick-up station will be available on East Campus for one part of the day and West Campus for the other.
Using the boxes provided by CFM, pack your belongings using these guidelines:
- Boxes should not be more than 30 pounds. If you have lots of heavy textbooks, spread them out between a few boxes.
- Position the heaviest items at the bottom of the box and the lightest on top.
- Fill the box completely. Use the brown packing paper to fill any gaps and to ensure that the box is firm and flat on top.
- Use at least two strips of tape to secure the bottom and top of the box.
- Use the marker to label each box with the following information:
- Your full name
- Your Duke uniqueID number (ex 0654321)
- Your phone number
- Write: Duke University
- When you are ready to depart campus, leave your items behind in your room and lock your door. CFM will be able to check out a key for your room and pick all items up on May 4 & 5.
Things to include/exclude:
- No food or dirty dishes should be included in your storage boxes. Even in a sealed box, the smell of food will attract unwanted pests.
- No liquid cleaning products should be included in your storage boxes. This includes items such as window cleaner, liquid laundry soap, and dish soap. Cleaning products have a tendency to leak if the box gets tipped.
- Liquid personal hygiene products such as shampoo or lotion may be stored but must first be sealed inside plastic bags and the plastic bags should be secured with several layers of tape. If your item does leak, we do not want the liquid to ruin the other items in your box or in nearby boxes sharing the same storage area.
- Remove light bulbs from lamps. Light bulbs have a tendency to break during moving and storage. If you do wish to keep your bulbs after you have separated them from your lamp, please be sure to wrap the bulb in layers of paper and place inside of a plastic bag so that if it shatters, you don’t have loose glass in your box.
- Particle board and plastic furniture does not hold up well to moving and storage. We will do our best to protect them during the process but these types of pieces often will lose screws and pieces, making them difficult to re-use.
- Double check that you have collected any important documents (birth certificate, visa documents, bank records) that you might need over summer. We will not have the ability to open up your boxes for you to look for specific items.
- Each package allows you to store a specific number of items that do not need to be boxed in order to be stored. Please be sure that you label these items clearly with post-it notes or other signage.
- If you find that you have more items than can fit inside your boxes, you can choose to use your own boxes. You can also utilize any suitcases, duffel bags, or trunks. Please clearly label the item. When we inventory your items during the pick-up process, we will adjust your invoice to account for these additions.
- If you have plastic totes or plastic sets of drawers, you are welcome to fill those with personal items and we will include them in your pack. Please clearly label the item. When we inventory your items during the pick-up process, we will adjust your invoice to account for these items.
- If you have furniture that you want included with your pack (bookshelf, chair, TV, bike), please clearly label the item. When we inventory your items during the pick-up process, we will adjust your invoice to account for these items.
CFM has been given permission by HRL to access rooms May 4 – 6. CFM will be able to unlock your room door to retrieve your belongings. At the time of pick-up, a photo inventory will be made of the items remaining in your room.
If you have a housing extension beyond May 4th, we will work with HRL to schedule a pick-up at a future date and will confirm that date with you via email.
Your belongings will be grouped together in a storage vault in the CFM warehouse space. The warehouse is climate controlled to protect your belongings. Your belongings will remain secured in the storage vault until the start of the fall semester.
If you have a need to retrieve your items before the start of the semester, you may schedule an appointment to come to the CFM warehouse. Appointments must be scheduled at least two business days in advance. Please call the main office at (919) 500-2013 to schedule an appointment. Because of how the storage vaults are secured, we are unable to accommodate same-day appointments.
CFM will set up delivery stations on campus August 19, 20, 21, and 22. You will be asked to respond to an email in early August to confirm your planned move-in date. After you have arrived on campus and picked up your key/activated your DukeCard, you should report to the delivery station to sign out your belongings. A crew from CFM will cart your belongings to the exterior door of your building. If you would like CFM to deliver your items to your bedroom, please select that option on the contract.CFM will set up a delivery process specifically for RAs on Saturday, August 7th.
If you would like your items delivered on a date other than the options listed above, you may request a special delivery option and we will do our best to accommodate your request. Please note that a fee will be incurred for the special delivery option.
You will receive an initial invoice prior to the College Moves process and will be expected to pay the invoice within 7 days of receipt. If your payment cannot be processed after 7 days, a 10% late fee will be charged. If the invoice is not paid by May 1, the contract will be canceled and your items will not be included in the College Moves process.
A second invoice will be issued after the inventory of your boxes and items has been completed. If the total number of boxes, items, and special items matches your initial estimate, the net invoice will be $0. If the total number of boxes, items, and special items exceeds your initial estimate, you will be upgraded to the appropriate package level and a second invoice to cover that cost difference will be sent to you. That second invoice must be paid within 7 days of receipt. A 10% late fee will be added to the invoice if unpaid after 7 days. Your items will not be released to you for pick-up until the second invoice is paid in full.
In order to carry out the College Moves Program, work crews must be scheduled and guaranteed work several days prior to the date we will pick up your belongings. We therefore must charge a cancellation fee if you decide you no longer wish to participate in the College Moves Program.
Cancellation requests must be sent in writing to CollegeMoves@crabtreefamilymoving.com
-To receive a full refund, cancellations must be date stamped by noon EST on April 23 and any packing materials that were picked up must be returned to your campus HRL office
-To receive a 50% refund, cancellations must be date stamped by noon EST on April 30
-No refunds will be given after noon EST on April 30
Because students are packing their own belongings, CFM cannot confirm the condition of items being stored. For that reason, CFM is not able to offer insurance on student belongings and will not be financially liable for damage incurred during the packing, moving, and storing process. Students are strongly encouraged to purchase a personal property/renter insurance policy through a third-party carrier.
If you do not plan to return to campus in the fall
You may schedule an appointment to pick up your belongings directly from the CFM warehouse. Appointments must be scheduled at least two business days in advance. Please call the main office at (919) 500-2013 to schedule an appointment. Because of how the storage vaults are secured, we are unable to accommodate same-day appointments.
Alternatively, CFM can work with you to ship your items to you. The cost to transfer your belongings to UPS or DHL is $150. Once the specific carrier is chosen, you will be responsible for contacting the carrier and making arrangements for payment for shipping costs. Any additional costs related to international shipping, taxes, or duties must be paid by the student.
If you need to store your items for the duration of the fall semester, you can enter into an extended storage agreement with CFM and make plans to receive your items at the start of Spring 2022 semester. You will be invoiced for $250 ($50 per month for 5 additional months of storage). The invoice must be paid in full within 7 days of receipt. A 10% late fee will be added to your invoice after 7 days. If the invoice remains unpaid after 60 days, the items in storage will be considered abandoned and will be discarded.
If we do not hear from you by August 30 to confirm plans for your items, we will hold your belongings in storage for 30 additional days (through September 30, 2021). During that time, we will attempt to contact you via your primary and secondary email addresses. If we are unable to reach you before October 1, 2021 your items will be considered abandoned and will be discarded.